Wednesday, July 21, 2010

First Touch

Access granted. The NICU nurses allowed for a visitor. Savannah, Blake, and I were at the hospital a.s.a.p. I arrived right at the noon feeding. J.D. graciously surrendered his position so that I could enter the nursery. NICU rules: maximum attendance, two. Shana was finishing Sadie’s first breast feeding and I got to hold Wyatt. His small size was intimidating, along with the tubes stretching from his swaddling blanket to the monitors across the floor. I was afraid I might hurt him. But I didn’t. We snuggled, he drifted off to sleep, and I reluctantly gave him back to the nurse.


3:00 feeding. Shana sacrificed her alloted time with her babies for me this time. I was honored. And prepared, I brought my camera.
J.D. changed Sadie's diaper and Nurse Julie changed Wyatt's. 
 
I got to feed Sadie this time. She downed her bottle. I was amazed at her strength. Julie showed me how to burp a preemie. The very same way you burp a newborn. 



Sadie was out just as soon as she finished her bottle. I studied her face and watched her sleep.
 
J.D. fed Wyatt. 


Too soon Julie said they had to go back into their beds. What a sweet sight to see them snuggled next to each other.


And here's what Dad has to snuggle into at night.


J.D.'s assigned bed just barely fit Savannah. He didn't complain.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, man! I didn't know you got to do all that. Wish I wasn't sick, but what can you do. Thanks for doing the blog.

    ReplyDelete